HOW TO OVERCOME BOREDOM
Co-authored bywikiHow Staff
Last Updated: October 6, 2020 References
Feeling bored? Overcoming boredom can be difficult, but there are many ways you can make a dull situation more entertaining. Find ways to channel your creativity by reading, writing, or making crafts. Take advantage of dull moments by being productive. Work on a task you’ve been putting off or learn a new skill. Get together with your friends when you’re bored and find exciting things to do around town. Find ways to have fun. Just because you’re bored at home doesn’t mean you can’t relax and laugh a little.
1 Read a book. This is a great way to make you forget that you are bored. An author’s words can help you take a mental vacation. Children’s and young adult books are especially good at this. They can also awaken the inner child, as well as feelings of wonder and nostalgia.
Choose a genre you enjoy. If you’ve never been able to get into science fiction, a science fiction book is unlikely to alleviate boredom. Instead, go for historical fiction.
If you don’t have any books lying around, go to a local library or bookstore. Getting out of the house can help lessen your boredom.
2Doodle, paint, or sketch something. This is a great way to exercise your creativity. You’ll also have something beautiful to show off when you’re done. This can also help you build a new skill, which can be great to do when you’re bored.
- Drawing or doodling may also increase your intelligence. Research suggests that doodling can help keep you focused and listening by engaging your brain.
- If you like to paint and draw, but aren’t sure what to draw, try going outside and painting/drawing a still life of what you see. You can also draw or paint something interesting around your house.
- You can also draw or paint your favorite book or movie character if you want to use your imagination.
3Color. Coloring is a great way to lessen boredom. Try digging out some crayons and markers and then find a coloring book lying around. Coloring for a few hours can help lessen boredom. You can try playing music in the background or have the TV on.
- If you don’t have anything to color, try coloring in the pictures in a black and white newspaper or magazine. You can also draw your own pictures and color them in.
- There are also coloring books for adults. Try picking such a book up at your local bookstore and coloring that.
4 Write a list. Lists are fun ways to pass the time. You can make a list of places you want to visit, books you want to reach, or goals you want to achieve. You can also make a silly list without a serious purpose.
Make a list that challenges you to think of a variety of ideas. For example, try to write down 50 different Christmas songs or 50 girl’s names that start with the letter “A.”
You can also make lists of your favorite things. For example, you can have a list of your favorite movies in a particular genre, your favorite books, or your favorite travel destinations.
DOWNLOAD THE FILE BELOW